Pesto is traditionally a big no-no for anyone with a tree nut allergy, as it’s a punchy paste made of pine nuts, basil, hard cheese, garlic and olive oil. In modifying it to enjoy the same flavors without the allergy inducing ingredients, I chose to use roasted pumpkin seed butter samples from 88 Acres in place of the pine nuts. I also omitted the garlic to keep it FODMAP friendly.
If you read my post on must-pack snacks for Korea, you know 88 Acres has been a key player in making sure I snack safely while traveling and in introducing my students to nut-free snacks and seed butters. The roasted pumpkin seed butter adds another dimension to this inventive take on deviled eggs.
- One dozen hard-cooked eggs, peeled and sliced in half (place the whites on a plate and the yolks in a small mixing bowl)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons nut-free pesto (homemade or store bought is perfectly fine!)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional garnishes: basil oil, roasted sunflower seeds
To make nut-free pesto
Blend two packets of 88 Acres roasted pumpkin seed butter, 1 bunch of basil leaves, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, 1 cup of olive oil, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, salt and pepper until smooth. Adjust seasonings to taste and add more olive oil if the consistency is too thick. Store any unused portions in the refrigerator.
To make the deviled eggs
- In the bowl with egg yolks, mix in mayonnaise (or Greek yogurt), pesto, salt and pepper with a fork until completely smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasonings (more pesto, salt and/or pepper) to your liking.
- Evenly divide and fill each egg white half with all of the deviled egg filling.
- Eat immediately or refrigerate and eat chilled.
Note: If the filling is too thick for your liking, add in more mayonnaise or Greek yogurt until it’s a consistency you like.
Thank you to 88 Acres for the product samples. What do you think about adding nut-free pesto to deviled eggs? Let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to subscribe to my blog and check in for my regular posts over on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.