It’s almost National Nutrition Month, and I’m swinging for the fences this March. I’m offering three Nutrition Bites classes with three of the Triangle’s most loved and known restaurants. Nutrition Bites classes showcase local restaurants and their talented chefs and owners. In these classes, I talk about popular nutrition topics while featuring each restaurant’s nutritious offerings, the chefs provide demos of popular menu items and each class is capped off with a delicious, wholesome meal. Win, Win, Win.
Sassool Mediterranean Cafe, Kimbap and M Sushi are the featured restaurants for the Nutrition Bites classes in March. Join us at one, two or all three of the classes by purchasing tickets here.
Sassool Mediterranean Cafe is hosting the first class on March 6th. Below is the recipe for their Zaatar Salad – one of their most sought-after recipes as it’s packed with bright flavors and a little (OK, a lot of) Lebanese love.
Sassool Mediterranean Cafe’s Zaatar Salad
- 5 zucchini
- 7 yellow summer squash
- 10 radishes
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 5 fresh mint stems
- 3 cucumbers
- 4 cups finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons dry Zaatar spice
- Wash all the vegetables and dry them thoroughly before chopping.
- Slice the radishes into thin rounds.
- Slice the zucchini, squash and cucumber lengthwise and then once more to create long strips. Remove seeds and slice all of these on a bias into angled pieces.
- Dice the tomatoes into 1-inch pieces.
- Remove mint leaves from the stems and roughly chop.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, thyme, salt, black pepper and Zaatar.
- Combine all ingredients and mix well before serving.
Photo provided by Sassool Mediterranean Cafe